On the north side of the B879, about a quarter of a mile east of the junction with the B842, the main road running up the east side of Kintyre, is the Carradale Heritage Centre (postcode: PA28 6SG). It’s next to the excellent Network Bistro and has a bright red roof, so you can’t miss it!
CURRENTLY UNDER REFURBISHMENT - WATCH THIS SPACE
We’re going to be re-organising the collection over the coming months, and preparing new displays about the heritage of Carradale and this part of east Kintyre. It wasn’t just about fishing, farming and forestry – we have lots of other exciting stories to tell, including tales of smuggling, the plague, and a mysterious sea serpent.
A look back in time....
Carradale old pier in the 1950s. Opened in 1870, it was the first iron pier to be built in Scotland'. Photo by Duncan Ritchie ©
Carradale’s present harbour was opened in 1959. This photograph was taken in October 1968, when it was being extended. Photo by Duncan Ritchie ©
Carradale ring-net boats Mairi Bhan & Harvest Queen on the quay beach for cleaning, October 1968. The Bungalow tearoom & poles for drying nets are in the background. Photo by Duncan Ritchie ©
© Copyright East Kintyre Community